Monday, March 12, 2012

Classroom Tools - Geometer's Sketchpad


            Dynamic Geometry Software such as Geometer’s Sketchpad is a helpful tool for visualization. This helps not only the students but the teachers as well. Having a visualization tool available helps teacher explain concepts and ideas, which are difficult to put into words, in a way that is easier for students to comprehend.
            For example, Geometer’s Sketchpad can be used to illustrate the dynamic relationships between trigonometric functions (i.e. sine, cosine, tangent) and the unit circle. Trigonometric functions are taught at the high school level, usually introduced in Geometry (tenth grade) or Algebra II (eleventh grade) and explored more rigorously in Pre-Calculus (twelfth grade).
            I have just been introduced to Geometer’s Sketchpad so I am still learning its capabilities and exploring its potential. Unfortunately, one major drawback to Geometer’s Sketchpad is its price tag1. Since the district I work for does not own a license for the software I have limited opportunity to familiarize myself with it.
            However, Geogebra is a completely free DGS with similar capabilities to Geometer’s Sketchpad. I will discuss Geogebra in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment